Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Kim Davis is the county clerk of Rowan County, Kentucky (population: 23,655+). She became a martyr the Christian right for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples following the US Supreme Court's decision in 2015 to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide.
In the United States, counties are intermediate-level administrative districts; in most of the country, which is very rural, counties handle nearly all the boring bureaucratic functions of local government - courts, public utilities, libraries, hospitals, parks, roads, and certificates of births, deaths, and marriages. It is the last of these functions that got Davis in trouble; despite being a four-time divorcee, Davis decided she simply could not sleep with herself at night if she allowed the local homos to get married. After a court order and a lawsuit, wasting countless hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money, Davis was jailed for five days for contempt of court. She was released after her deputies agreed to begin issuing marriage licenses to all eligible couples, in compliance with the Supreme Court's decision, on the condition that she not interfere with the issuance of such licenses. She subsequently removed all mention of her County, her name, and the signature line from forms issued only to homosexual couples, thus interfering with the issuing of valid marriage licenses.
Adalted from RationalWiki
Time Magazine Person of the yearEdit
It was reported that Davis was nominated to be Time' Magazine Person of the year for 2015.
- ↑ http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/21/21205.html
- ↑ http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/us/same-sex-marriage-kentucky-kim-davis.html?_r=0
- ↑ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kentucky-clerk-gay-marriage-license_55e5a2bfe4b0b7a9633a2303
- ↑ https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/09/01/will-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-issue-gay-marriage-licenses-after-supreme-court-ruling/
- ↑ http://cowgernation.com/2015/09/04/truth-kim-davis-divorced-husbands-before-she-became-a-christian/
- ↑ https://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/dan-savage-kim-davis-hypocrite-looking-cash-bigot-money
- ↑ Kim Davis Nominated for Time Magazine's Person of the Year