The name is rather Orwellian. Firstly, at Liberty University, students do not have the liberty to attend dances, break curfew, watch "R" rated movies, view sexually explicit material, enter the bedroom of someone of the opposite sex, or otherwise exhibit behavior "associated with a counterculture". Students may not drink alcohol, or smoke tobacco, or organize petitions without permission, and are also subjected to random, mandatory drug tests. This restrictive code of conduct is called the "Liberty Way".  No joke intended. Academic posts are mostly non-tenured so the authorities can control staff as well.
Secondly, it is barely a university. The lack of academic and other freedom has not improved the University’s academic performance; Liberty University has earned a prominent place on Radar Online’s list of the worst colleges in the country.
Despite their lack of academic credentials, Libery likes to claim that their debate team is one of the best in the nation. They go as far as to claim that they "claims [sic] national championships." Several times.
If this is true, of course, than a team from Liberty should have won the National Debate Tournament all those years. Not exactly. In the tournament's sixty-six year history, a team from Liberty has made the semi-finals exactly zero times.
Actually, the way the rankings are done gives teams points for doing well at tournaments. However, you get the same number of points for winning the local tournament in your rural backyard against some small, local schools as you get for Northwestern tournament that is the largest in the country with the best teams. And you get an equal number of points whether you win in the novice division of the former or the varsity division of the latter.
Liberty skipped the Northwestern tournament above. Actually, the skip most important tournaments and instead attend the tournaments they can win more easily, and get more points at. Then, they then go up against Harvard, they lose
But participating in championship debating requires them to be capable of debating both sides of a question; this means that some of their debaters have to, on occasion, argue in favor of legalized abortion. This has drawn criticism from at least one Dominionist crank who thinks that because Aristotle was "probably a Homosexual," he had nothing useful to say on the subject of Logic.
Some of the most highly coveted classes one can take at Liberty University include classes that teach creation studies and, particularly, Young Earth Creationism in lieu of evolution or actual biology. The university, itself, has a Center for Creation Studies, which, similar to the Discovery Institute, seeks to create evidence supporting creationism out of thin air.
They revoked their recognition of their College Democrats of America chapter because "We are unable to lend support to a club whose parent organization stands against the moral principles held by Liberty University." This is despite the fact the club was officially anti-gay and full of bigots; as well as anti-choice. Although Liberty said that they need a "pro-life, pro-family" parent organization, the mere fact that they banned a club shows that they don't support what actual universities encourage like challenging the Status Quo, and self expression.
- ↑ Unless, of course, that counterculture happens to be Rev. Falwell's cult.
- ↑ According to a PDF from their website
- ↑ Worst Christian University: Liberty University (VA). Radar Online: August 17, 2007.
- ↑ http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=87496
- ↑ http://groups.wfu.edu/NDT/HistoricalLists/winners.html
- ↑ Liberty University #1 in Debate?
- ↑ Strong Opinions About Liberty University Debate Success
- ↑ Chafets, Zev. Ministers of Debate. The New York Times Magazine: March 19, 2006.
- ↑ http://www.theamericanview.com/index.php?id=590
- ↑ Thompson, Dave. Excursion continues to find Noah’s Ark in Turkey. The News & Advance: December 28, 2009. Myers, PZ. Another indicator of the high academic standards of Liberty University. December 28, 2009.
- ↑ Coveted by them, not us
- ↑ 
- ↑ Creation Studies homepage
- ↑ http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rachel-maddow/30894993#30894993
- ↑ Liberty University Democrats: Why They Were Silenced, And What It Means
- ↑ A Statement from Brian Diaz over his resignation with LU Dem Club
Copied from RationalWiki