Socialism is a political movement, and perhaps also a philosophic, economic and a cultural system, that seeks -in some versions- to construct a post-capitalist society where full Human self-actualization is the norm. To achieve that it advocates both the elimination of arbitrary authority and the end of exploitation of the powerless by the powerful. Socialists generally advocate empowering the poor and redistributing un-earned wealth.
| This article is part of|
the Political Philosophy
Socialists usually oppose large corporations and the ultra-wealthy, which puts Ann Coulter very much against them. It's against giving rich people the Freedom to take advantage of the rest of us which is good. Some types of socialism are like Social Democracy. That means having a welfare state which protects democracy. People who have their basic human needs met and a pleasing measure of personal Liberty don’t become involved in authoritarian movements.
What is wrong with present societyEdit
Currently, the richest 1% of Americans own 37% of the wealth and the poorest 90% own only 28%, a massive disparity of wealth created as a result of the corporate influence politicians receive -- sometimes to the point that some rich pay a lower tax rate than the poor.
This kind of discrepancy is becoming apparent in the rest of the World as well.
Socialists (and Social Democrats) aim to fix the imbalance by either eliminating or reducing the private sector, getting rid of corporate influence and establishing laws that give the people equal care.
The rich don't always deserve that money, as many of them just drain the wealth from the poor and pass it to their offspring and refuse to share it with anyone that deserves it. It's hard to argue with a system that helps the poor and middle class (the vast majority of people are one of those two) and take cash from the rich (who don't need it, and never actually spend much of it).
Socialists and LiberalsEdit
From the American definition of liberalism, liberals share quite a lot with the European Social Democrats, with liberals being more inclined towards supporting human, civil rights and equality and Social Democrats towards social freedoms and labor rights.
Socialists, in that manner, have similar (but usually more extreme) opinions on economical matters.
In contrast, conservatives want to destroy the environment, put blacks back in slavery, keep women from voting and as their husband's property, kill gays, love war. Conservatives believe in some imaginary sky daddy that will save them, and take money away form the poor.
Traditional socialism was a political and economic philosophy that advocated social ownership of the means of production and cooperative management of the economy; or a political philosophy advocating such a system. "Social ownership" may refer to any one of, or a combination of, the following: cooperative enterprises, common ownership, autonomous public ownership or state ownership. As a form of social organization, traditional socialism was based on co-operative social relations and self-management; relatively equal power-relations and the reduction or elimination of hierarchy in the management of economic and political affairs.
Socialism and other political systemsEdit
Communista and far right Conservatives like Fascists have much more in common, including a tendency to revise history, run over people with tanks (see Poland), treat the lower class awfully, censor books, movies and works of art and feel it is the government's right to monitor people’s movements and communication. Far right Conservatives like Fascists also have something else in common with Communists. When Science goes against their ideology Right wing conservatives and Communists both like to pretend science is wrong.
Right wing scare tacticsEdit
Because many people think badly about Communism, conservatives often tend to pretend socialists are communists. This is a right wing scare tactic sometimes called Red baiting. Something similar is calling Obama a Socialist which is not true. Conservatives often claim that Socialism makes people lazy, because the wealth gets "spread around" so much. They may also claim that Socialism does not work, when in fact, the 4 countries in Europe with the highest work ethic are all run by democratic socialists or Social Democrats, the two ideologies sometimes overlap. Socialism IS NOT the same as COMMUNISM, and neither communism or socialism are the same as Orwellianism. (Orwell was in fact a socialist!) Communism is socialism taken to the extreme, and saying that socialism is as bad as communism (we're looking at you, conservatives) is just a bit like like saying stubbing your toe is as bad as the Holocaust.
Socialism seems to be becoming increasingly popular with young Americans, see:-
Awesome things Socialists can do that right-wingers can't doEdit
- Free the people
- Sing awesome revolutionary songs
- Get justice for the hard working (A lot of the rich are hard working and they should keep some of the wealth they generate but not all. The hard working majority of the poor deserve far more than they get.)
- Get laid
- Get nasty to Fascists like Nazis and Klansmen
- Not commit human rights abuses
- Be peaceful
- Prove Neocons wrong in their imaginations
- Ally with Liberals to save the world
- Abolish the death penalty
- Treat Women as equals (What Saudi Arab women need by a magnitude)
- Treat minorities and immigrants as equals
- Treat Homosexuals as equals
- End wars
- Be sexy
- Free Tibet
- Listen to rock music
- Refuse to commodify sex
- Replace unrestrained, deregulated capitalism with something better
- Tax the sh*t out of the extremely wealthy (If they work hard, they just get it back)
- Introduce Universal health care
- Be social(ists)
- Posses a brain(less head) All humans need to get smarter
- Be superior to communists (Oh wait, pretty much everyone including conservatives can do that, way too easy)
We hope you like the external links we've found for you though we know links won't always suit everybody. If you like our links please return to Liberapedia later when you've got everything you want from our links. If our links don't suit you you can come back to Liberapedia and look for something that suits you better.
- Socialism in the United Kingdom
- History of Socialism
- Difference between Socialism and Communism | Difference Between
- Michael Moore Talks About Socialism Michael Moore explains what he thinks is a good Economic system.
- Chomsky on Socialism Noam Chomsky argues that the USSR was not socialist because it didn’t bring Freedom and attacks United States Capitalism too.
- What is Democratic Socialism? If you are studying Social science at 6th Form, College or University this video will give you useful background information for your course work. If you can’t understand it the first time you hear it you can play it several times. The text here is weird.