Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Stars are suns and the sun is a star. Stars only look small and faint because they are incredibly far away. The nearest star apart from the sun is Proxima Centauri and is just over 4 light years away. That means Proxima Centauri is so far away that it takes light over 4 years to reach the Solar System from there. The other stars are even further away.
Some stars are hotter than the sun. Those stars look blue in the sky. Other stars are cooler than the sun. They look red in the sky. Stars are incredibly hot and shine because Nuclear reactions in their cores keep heating them. When the nuclear fuel is exhausted some stars blow themselves up to form supernova. Other stars form black holes or white dwarf stars or pulsars. Astronomers may try to estimate how many stars there are in the Milky Way galaxy or the Universe.
- Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram This links the mass of a star and its age with its temperature and luminosity.
- Carl Sagan - Our Sun's Life Cycle Video about the sun and other stars.
- The Life Cycle of a Star Video about all stars including our sun
- HR Diagram - Stars Video explaining the different types of stars
- Ever Wonder How Elements are Formed ? Fusion and Beyond! Video explaining how elements form in stars and Supernovae